Biomedical Engineering BS/MS
The following requirements are in addition to, or further elaborate upon, those requirements outlined in The Graduate School Policy Guide.
BS/MS Degree without Thesis
- These requirements are the same as “MS-Only without Thesis”. BS/MS students who have taken the BME 301/302/303 sequence will take two advanced life science courses instead of the two advanced systems physiology courses.
BS/MS Degree with Thesis
- These requirements are the same as the “MS-Only with Thesis” unless the student participates in an accelerated, thesis-based program for outstanding undergraduates who have established research relationships with BME faculty members as outlined below. BS/MS students will take two advanced life science courses instead of the two advanced systems physiology courses.
Accelerated BS/MS Degree with Thesis
Admission Requirements (no exceptions):
- NU BME undergraduate
- 3.5 grade point average or higher in undergraduate studies
- Have conducted at least two quarters of undergraduate research (399 or paid research) with chosen advisor
- Approval by Director of the MS Program
Total Units Required for the Master's Degree: 9
|Research for Credit (3 units):|
|Quantitative science and engineering courses from approved list or by permission (3 units)|
|Advanced statistics course from approved list or by permission (1 unit)|
|Engineering and sciences courses (1 unit) 1|
|Restricted electives (1 unit) 2|
|Graduate Seminar (3 quarters - 0 units):|
|Graduate Research Seminar in Biomedical Engineering|
Courses in the following areas may not count: research for credit (BMD_ENG 499-0 Projects), global health (except BMD_ENG 380-0 Medical Devices, Disease & Global Health), business, design, NUVention (except for 1 quarter of NUvention Medical), seminar, or survey courses.
Students may take design, global health, and business classes to fulfill this category. Students taking a basic statistics course may count it towards this category. Students may opt to take additional math/science/engineering courses to fulfill this category as well.
- Examinations: defend Master's thesis
- Research/Projects: see Master's thesis
- Master's Thesis: required