Registration for All Students
Students register for classes using the CAESAR system, where the complete and updated class schedule can be found.
- The dates of registration for each quarter are announced in advance. Late registration is permitted only through the fifth full day of classes in any quarter.
- Students will not earn credit for courses in which they are not officially registered. Degree-seeking students may not audit courses.
- At the time of registration, students receive a warning message when enrolling in a class that they have already taken. Repeated courses all calculate in the GPA but credit is typically awarded only once.
- Waiver of prerequisites for admission to a course may be sought from the course instructor or department.
Changes of Registration
Changes in registration in fall, winter, and spring quarters are subject to the following provisions:
- In no case may a course be added after the fifth day of classes. No course may be dropped after the sixth Friday of classes.
- In courses designated with “Student Option” grading, undergraduate students may typically elect to change from quality grade to the pass/no credit (P/N) option or vice versa through the third Friday of the quarter. Check the current year academic calendar for deadlines and the regulations of the individual schools for specific information on the P/N option and how courses completed P/N may be applied to academic requirements.
- To add a class, students must log on to CAESAR and add the course to their record. Consent of the department or instructor may be required. See the class schedule for specific course information.
- To drop a course, students must log on to CAESAR and drop the course from the record. In most cases no special consent is required.
- A course dropped by the drop deadline, typically the sixth Friday of a quarter, does not appear on the permanent academic record, and no grade is recorded.
- Failure to drop a course within the time allowed may result in a failure and may be recorded with a grade of F.
Registration in the School of Professional Studies
Northwestern University School of Professional Studies, with locations in Evanston, Chicago, and the Chicago Loop, offers courses designed primarily for working adults. Students enrolled in an undergraduate school at Northwestern may take SPS courses for credit only with the approval of their school’s dean or their faculty adviser. SPS students have priority, so enrollment of non-SPS undergraduate students in SPS courses is capped. Registrations are processed on the first day of the quarter, and priority is given to students who need a course to complete a major.
To register for SPS courses, students must
- Retrieve a Dual Registration Form from the Office of the Registrar in Evanston.
- Secure the required approvals.
- Submit the form at the Office of the Registrar in Evanston as soon as possible before classes start.