General University Rules and Regulations of Student Conduct
SPS students, as members of the Northwestern community, are expected to conduct themselves maturely and exemplify behavior consistent with Northwestern’s community standards. As a Northwestern student, you are expected to not only excel in the classroom but to engage in socially responsible behavior and to model exceptional conduct, character, and citizenship on campus, online, and beyond. SPS students are expected to be respectful of SPS staff time and resources.
All SPS students are subject to University-enacted policies and standards, which are found in the Northwestern University Student Handbook and Office of Student Conduct website. Any violation of these policies, or assisting or encouraging others in the violation of these community standards may lead to student conduct action.
Student Expectations and COVID-19 Code of Conduct
Northwestern University is excited, yet cautious, about welcoming students back. The highest priority for the University is the well-being of our Wildcat community. Northwestern has developed the following expectations for all enrolled students who return to campus or participate in any University program (even remotely). Northwestern University may modify these expectations at any time as guidance from federal, state, and local governments and/or the University evolves. Substantive modifications will be communicated to you. As a reminder, in addition to the expectations set forth below, all students are expected to follow policies applicable to students, including those contained in the Student Handbook or your specific academic program.
To be eligible to enroll, students must agree to the following:
- I will regularly monitor the University’s guidelines related to COVID-19 on the COVID-19 site and stay updated on any guidance provided by the University.
- While on campus I will abide by any additional safety or hygiene standards recommended by Northwestern, the Illinois Department of Public Health, or the CDC, including standards regarding social distancing, limiting gatherings, hand washing and sanitizing, and cleaning shared surfaces.
- I will wear a mask or face covering in all public and shared environments on campus and whenever required by the University, unless I have a medical condition that restricts my ability to do so. I understand that the face covering must meet guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Northwestern's guidance.
- I understand that I may be asked to submit to COVID-19 testing and will comply with COVID-19 testing recommendations.
- I will cooperate with any contact tracing efforts by the University.
- I will perform and document any self-monitoring or self-screening of health symptoms that the University asks me to complete, including monitoring my personal health daily and reporting any conditions as required by the University.
- I will participate in any additional health screening required by the University.
- I will immediately report any exposure to COVID-19 to Northwestern University Health Service or to any other offices/functions required by Northwestern and will not participate in in-person activities until I am cleared by the University.
- I will follow the University's guidance on self-isolation and/or quarantining, including self-isolation for individuals who have traveled outside of the United States within the last 14 days.
- I recognize that individuals with the following conditions may have a higher risk from COVID-19 infection: age 65 or older, HIV, asthma, chronic lung disease, diabetes, serious heart condition, chronic kidney disease being treated with dialysis, severe obesity, immunocompromised, and certain pregnancy related conditions.
- If I will be residing in University housing, I will review the Expectations for Undergraduate Residents During COVID-19 and/or the Expectations for Graduate Residents During COVID-19 and follow the expectations set forth therein.
- I will complete training programs related to COVID-19 provided by the University.
I have read and understand this summary of expectations, and agree to follow all Northwestern University guidelines related to reducing the spread of COVID-19. If I do not follow these expectations, I may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct or my dean’s office for follow up. I understand these expectations may change given the evolving nature of the pandemic. I further understand that if I have questions, I can raise them with the appropriate University office.
I understand and acknowledge that while Northwestern is continuing to clean, sanitize, and engage in social distancing and other best practices, and that Northwestern is continuing to follow the guidance of public health officials to help prevent the contracting or spread of COVID-19, much of the nature of the COVID-19 virus is still unknown (including potential long term health effects), and Northwestern cannot control risks associated with COVID-19 or guarantee that the campus (including any building) is free of the virus, or that I or my belongings will not be exposed to COVID-19, and that such exposure may result in illness and/or a disruption to my student experience.
I understand and acknowledge that Northwestern may need to make sudden changes to the campus environment, which may also impact my experience.
I understand and acknowledge that the University hopes that at least some instruction and activities will take place in person in the upcoming term. However, the majority of courses will be delivered remotely and in-person course delivery is dependent upon evolving health guidelines and space availability. Accordingly, some or all instruction for all or part of the term may be delivered remotely, activities may be cancelled or postponed, and courses with in-person components may shift to online delivery at some point. The University and its schools and units may also adjust other features of the academic experience, like course offerings and grading. Such changes will be communicated to students by the University, their school, or program. Tuition and fees will not be refunded or prorated in these circumstances. Tuition and fees also will not be refunded or prorated if I choose to participate in courses offered remotely.
I understand and acknowledge that I have informed awareness of these risks and share the responsibility for minimizing risk of exposure to and spread of COVID-19 to myself and others, and that I am voluntarily resuming my academic program. If I decline the option to resume my academic program, I understand that I am making that decision voluntarily and understand any programmatic or financial implications of that decision. If I have questions about this, I will contact my academic program.
If I’m a student with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation, I understand I should contact AccessibleNU to go through the accommodation process.
All enrolled students must acknowledge via CAESAR that they read and understood this statement and agreed to the terms set forth above.